April 2015 – LMLA - President’s Message
Update from the Little Muskego Lake Association
Hi LMLA Members;
This is a quick update on the results of the meeting Monday April 27th at Muskego City Hall with the City, WI DNR, Lake District, Lake Associations, SEWRPC and others in regards to the new invasive plant-like Algae, Starry Stonewort, in Little Muskego Lake.
This plan is tentative and will be published when competed. Tim Plude (WI-DNR author).
1. Plan hand pulling schedule
2. Place additional signage at all launches. Existing Invasive species sign will have a “Important Notice” sign about SSW added.
3. Contact known boating groups (Yacht club, Carpshooters, Pier installers, Tuesday Bass Tournament, Waterbugs, etc.
4. Place buoys (No wake and no anchoring)
1. Start hand pulling
2. Start inspector teams at all launches
1. Continue hand pulling
2. Meet with all groups and report status
1. Initiate Diver Assisted Suction Harvesting (DASH) as main control effort during late July- Aug timeframe
2. Whole-lake point intercept survey (SEWRPC)
3. Post DASH survey of Bay to compare to spring initial assessment
1. Mgmt Team meeting to discuss results of post-control survey, discuss next steps in control strategy, discuss containment success/failures
Please spread this information to your neighbors and Non-LMLA members.
This is very important to help prevent the spread of the invasive "plant" STARRY STONEWORT.
Unfortunately LML is the 1st lake in Wisconsin to have this invasive.
We need to work together to stop the spread within LML and to any other lakes.
We are working with the WI DNR, Lake District & City of Muskego to help contain this "plant".
The City of Muskego placed buoys next to Wentland Bay to ask boaters to please avoid the bay. We also suggest avoiding anchoring in this area as well.
Please see a sample of the signage we are posting at all launches below.
The sign has a LML map highlighting where the SSW is currently located.
First and foremost is education. Please help educate everyone who uses the lake to practice "Clean Boats, Clean waters" best practices!!
There will be information to come as all groups help formalize and publish a more formal plan of action.